Sunday, September 12, 2010

Food


Food in New Zealand is an experience all to it's own.

Today i went out on a limb , went to the food court where there are about 25 restaurants all of them some form of asian food. This idea of so much asian food is fantastic for about 30 seconds when you realize there is no longer a safe default like pizza. further more, asian food here i suppose is 'real asian food'. The same way mexican food we get is tex mex or americanized. Here it is suspiciously still moving or funny colours.
So I tried something lemon chicken on rice which was ok until my gag reflex started reacting to the greese or gristle. Then I was done. No more experiments today.


Snack food/junk food here is ridiculously expensive. For example, $2 reese's cups, $5 pringles, $2.50 Can of Dr. Pepper (when you can find it). Nothing says diet more than a $10 run to the dairy (quick mart). I suppose it stems from the whole "we are importing this to the other side of the planet" + quick mart prices.

Hopefully once i get settled in ie in Palmerston North, the pack 'n save will keep me from becoming a stick. Plus fruit here is super cheap so I guess it's healthy living for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment