Monday, August 23, 2010

Begin the CouchSurf


I have just over $2,000 to fund this trip which after exchange rates will be closer to 3. In an effort to save money I have been looking into hostels and my personal favorite: couch surfing. Now for those of you who may or may not know, couch surfing is where one finds some ones couch to sleep on for free. That simple. I've been a member of CouchSurfing.org for at least a year now but this will be my first experience. CouchSurfing is a great worldwide network for making connections between travelers and the local communities they visit.

I'm sure most of you are worried about safety and security but I could also get hit by a bus, mugged on the street, be in a plane crash, or attacked by a killer penguin. It'll be ok.

I just sent out a few messages to some people in a lovely place called Palmerston North. I haven't been able to find a cheep hostel there. Most of them are running about $40 a night at which point I could just about get a proper hotel. It's really not that much but it's only $12 in Auckland, the country's biggest city and only $25 to take an 8 hour bus from Auckland to Palmerston North. We'll just have to see how it turns out!


No comments:

Post a Comment